In-house BPO

It has been almost one month since I stopped writing in this blog. Although there are many reasons and unexpected busyness for this. The mainly reason is probably the change of my job. If you read my previous blog entries, you can see I have been working in certain outsourcing company. And just a few weeks ago I was finally able to leave this company, though the turnover has not been completed.

As everybody knows, the change of one's own job or resignation is a kind of big event, if not frustrated, in his or her life physically and psychologically. I submitted my resignation to the company almost several months ago, and yet due to lack of the replacement I had to have remained in the position until recently – a few weeks ago. During such extended period I started my blog diary, and then as you can see in my previous blog entries, during this extend period I was also involved with some other activities such as CMMI presentations, Spiral Dynamics related translations, and even the business development to get in touch with one telecommunication company.

In this sense, while my resignation has been pended, I could have also enjoyed this extended period somehow.

However, once my replacement has come, ironically I have gotten busier due to the turnover, and unexpectedly or even surprisingly I have been involved in my next job for which I have been in Japan since September 6 up to 22.

When I just submitted my resignation to the company, I was planning to become a fulltime student for several months so as to complete my dissertation and just doing some sideline such as Spiral Dynamics translations and/or CMMI related jobs. But, things are not always as you plan and expect.

Just a few weeks month ago -- shortly before the company found my replacement, another outsourcing company called me up and asked if I was interested in working for their newly deployed BPO project between Philippines and Japan. The company is one of the large multinational organizations and what they plan to do is that the Philippine branch of their organization will become the BPO for their Japan branch. In this sense, this is not necessarily the outsourcing, but rather what is called a sort of in-house outsourcing -- actually they call it business transformation.

For example, for the retrenchment what some large organizations are doing is that they make their own subsidiary companies that act as the BPO firms for them and where some laid off employees work with lower salaries; in so doing they can conduct the retrenchment without completely losing the employees.

In this case such subsidiary firms will be established in the foreign branch of the multinational organization. In short, the Philippine branch becomes the BPO firm for the same organizations that are located in Japan, Australia or USA, etc. As you know, India and Philippines are ones of the well-known BPO destinations. And now, the multinational organization has started the same approach within the organization, which is a quite interesting phenomenon.

As I explained here, what this multinational organization tries to do interests me a lot. Though I am not sure how long and how deep I can be involved with this project so far, at least it is quite worthwhile to see this interesting, newly emerged BPO business trend from the insider's point of view. I have to stay in Japan from September 6 to 22; and, observe the detailed transactions that are operated in Japan; and then, see what kind of transactions can be transferred and preferably transformed into the outsourced operations in the Philippines.

The main intention of the outsourcing business, of course, is cost cutting; however, from the more advanced point of view, the ideal outsourcing should be focusing not only on the cost cutting, cost performance, or retrenchment, but also on the improvement of the process as such in terms of making efficiency and precision, providing the quality of service, and developing more global perspectives, etc. That is what business transformation aims.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paradigm, System, Skills and Knowledge

Good Shepherd

Philosophical Attitude